Thursday 3 December 2009

The Crown Vandals - The Guenevere EP


The Crown Vandals


...feature Tim Beeler on Acoustic Guitar and Lead Vocals and Tim Keen styling the Violin, Drums, Vocals, Bass and Synth. Beeler is from New Hampshire in the US and Keen hails from Melbourne in sunny old Australia, at first I thought it was one of those great projects that pits two guys from different sides of the world together by the internet, sending vocal recordings to one another and so on. It seems I'm wrong, they met in Montreal (you'll have to ask them the details, I wasn't there) Canada, where they now record music together, I guess they live there too but I'm not one to assume the obvious.

Influenced equally by the quirky, overdriven folk of Elephant 6 bands (I'm good at reading) and even cite Jeff Mangum as an influence (my reading skills are testing once again). With those references made, it means that it will always be worth my ears hearing their output and these guys deliver. "Guenevere" even sounds like it wouldn't be out of place on In The Aeroplane Over The Sea.


Enough of The Neutral Milk Hotel love in though, this is a band in their own right, these guys are more than a one trick pony, the rest of the EP is pretty strong and catchy. It's a bit lazy to call this Folk, it feels more than that, this almost sounds like what I wanted Arcade Fire to sound like the only time I listened to them...and isn't there more than two members in that band?

This really isn't a review, is just to tell you that the guys are giving away this EP for free, isn't that nice? You can find it from these links underneath, go on:
myspace

last.fm

No comments: