Tuesday 29 December 2009

A Top 25 Style Chart Rundown Of Records From The Naughties

Before I start I should say that I know everyone has been at this, DiS and Pitchfork have both done massive rundowns, everyone else started a thread on the subject on every forum on the entire internet.

Anyhow...I was asked by a friend to compile a top ten of my favourite records of the naughties, this brought about two seconds of excitement (who doesn't love lists?) and then what followed was days and days of adding record names to an every expanding list. Seriously? A top ten? I'm pretty sure if you've only got really into music in the last three years you could do a top ten off the top your head almost but for everyone else, I see this as a daunting task. I started scribbling down some records onto a piece of paper whilst going through my ipod, which turned into rushing onto my laptop to make sure of the year each one was released, my list then turned into a top sixty odd, I managed to get it down to fifty and left it there.

A few days later I decided to pick twenty five, after many arguments with myself, and sent it off...to which I was told that if I didn't submit a top ten, he wouldn't use it at all. I couldn't, so here's my top twenty five in order of year of release.



Jeniferever - Choose A Bright Morning [2006]

Oceansize - Everyone Into Position [2005]

Bear vs Shark - Terrorhawk [2005]

65daysofstatic - The Fall Of Math [2004]

Planes Mistaken For Stars - Up In Them Guts [2004]

Hot Snakes - Audit In Progress [2004]

The Wrens - The Meadowlands [2003]

The Weakerthans - Reconstruction Site [2003]

This Aint Vegas - Black Lung Captain [2003]

The Shins - Chutes Too Narrow [2003]

Sun Kil Moon - Ghosts Of The Great Highway [2003]

Reuben - Racecar Is Racecar Backwards [2003]

Million Dead - A Song To Ruin [2003]

Hell Is For Heroes - The Neon Handshake [2003]

Mclusky - Mclusky Do Dallas [2002]


Hot Water Music - Caution [2002]

The Cooper Temple Clause - See This Through And Leave [2002]

Interpol - Turn On The Bright Lights [2002]

Biffy Clyro - Blackened Sky [2002]

Beck - Sea Change [2002]

Converge - Jane Doe [2001]


Idlewild - 100 Broken Windows [2000]

Cursive - Domestica [2000]


The Appleseed Cast - Mare Vitalis [2000]

At The Drive-In - Relationship Of Command [2000]


...and yeah I know, I really should be putting some blurb under these but I started out really excited, then I started to make a playlist from these records on Spotify (naughtiesmixtape) and I just started to get tired and I'm trying to make my dinner too. Well I think The Wrens might be my all time favourite, noticed how little there is from the last couple of years, I'm guessing that will change if I ever think about this again. Classics yo...now onto my top records of 2009!

No comments: