Thursday 5 November 2009

Pianos Become The Teeth – Old Pride (2009)

(Top Shelf 2009)
Screamo/Post-Rock/Indie

RIYL: The Saddest Landscape, I Would Set Myself On Fire For You, Loma Prieta, Envy, City Of Caterpillar

I have to admit, I don’t listen to Pianos Become The Teeth often but when I do, they have the tools to blow me away, but I’m not sure if they have all the songs in their arsenal to keep me constantly on the edge of my seat.

At times this record is an ambient, uncompromising and very emotional assault on the ears, a style that hasn’t been championed as intensely in a while (or from my memory). It pushes boundaries; it makes the hair on the back of your neck stand. I love the post-rock-esque guitars on this so much; it even makes me wish that some instrumental post-rock bands would throw in some coarse/shouting/screaming vocals into the mix for good measure.

"Pensive” is possibly my favourites from this record, "I'm ready to let my hair down, I'm ready to move to the woods until the floor boards get raspy, I'm ready, I'm ready" is the frenziedly screaming vocal that fly out of my headphones, oh man, this is the height of everything good about this record.

I wish I could write more about this record and the fact that it has so much testosterone but I don’t care though as I have no idea where I am right now.

P.S. The Album artwork is seriously great, top notch. I hope it’s the same artwork when it’s released over here next year…otherwise I’m going to have to spend more money than I would want to on a poster.

8/10 Recommended



www.last.fm/music/Pianos+Become+The+Teeth

www.myspace.com/pianosbecometheteeth
www.topshelf-records.com

No comments: